Monday, May 12, 2014

I've been thinking about space lately.



back


Outer space a bit-

A full moon is coming, and David called me outside at the last bone pink of sunset to see Jupiter, Mars, and Saturn. What a beautiful, close shake planets give out. Not a twinkle, more alive than all that magic- a shake, a shimmy.

I know more winter stars and planets. Orion's bow is my heart string, and its coming in fall never fails to strum.                 
                                                               But the spring stars.

 I see them without Orion, much alone without his direction and grounding.

But I got a David these days. And he shows me a starless sky, full of dancing planets.



And living space.

How I move in a kitchen. How we move in a kitchen. David chops, and I stir, and how does that translate into countertop space? Some things are already decided. I framed a window halfway between the counter for a sink. It has enough space for the water heater and a trash can to the left, and some space for cutting to the right. So stirring (and  the stove top) go in the small part of the L shaped kitchen, above the fridge, and below the spices. Makes perfect sense to me. Some decisions are just made right for you.

The things that needed to be stored under and in the kitchen cabinets fleshed out what they would need to look like. A drawer for utensils. A drawer for foil, potholders, the sharp knives maybe. A cabinets for food, halved by a cabinets for pots and maybe an extra skillet. And under toe kick drawers for that weird stuff- extra chargers, a phone book, birthday candles.

David has been working on cabinet drawers for the storage in the couch. I've never made a drawer. I've never made a box. The thought of all this cabinetry intimidated me to no end, I have to admit, and maybe David would admit it too- but he did it. He made some beautiful boxes, that later turned into beautiful drawers. Slow going, but shit's getting done.


And outdoor space.

We decided on a place to live. We were blessed with multiple options, all with their pros and cons, but where we are has treated us well, and we will be staying there. Our many tomato, pepper, cucumber, nasturtium, whathaveyou, seedlings that have been sleeping over at the greenhouse now have a home. And us too, the harder we push, the sooner it will be.


front




No comments:

Post a Comment